Saturday, September 27, 2014

An Interview With Author, A.J. Adwen

Recently we were introduced to author, A.J. Adwen as she shared her writing process with us.Now, let's learn a bit more about her in this interview!


Where are you from?
I was born and raised in southern Oregon, and I have been in living in Oklahoma for five years.
Why do you write?
I can't remember a time in my life that I wasn't writing something. Writing has always been my way of expressing what I'm feeling, both good and bad. I often say that I write to heal, and I can say that in a lot of ways, it has healed from a rocky past. I know it'll be a long journey, though. And that's okay, because writing is what gives me joy.
What inspired you to write your first book?
I had a dream when I was 14 that I couldn't get out of my head for years. Actually, it was two dreams, but they were connected somehow. I still can't put my finger on how they were connected. I just knew it was the same world. In the first dream, I was in this gorgeous forest. It was so lush and green that there wasn't a single flaw to be found--no dead limbs, nothing. I was riding my horse bareback and without a bridle. We rode all over this land, into the mountains, down by the ocean. Every single part of it was so beautiful and rich, and so unlike anything I had ever seen before (which is saying something, because Oregon, my home, is gorgeous). I mean, there were colors that seemed like they didn't even belong in our spectrum. Breathtaking, peaceful, safe, inspiring.
The next dream, I was in a land that was the total opposite. The dream started with me seeing this barren wasteland, and then suddenly I was in this castle room that stretched so long that you couldn't see the end of it. Inside, two armies faced each other. One made of people; the other strange human-like creatures. The two armies collided, and somewhere along the way, I realized that I was a queen to this wasteland. I knew it was my responsibility to change it.
I also remember being VERY in love, but I never saw who I loved. The whole (second) dream was gut wrenching and terrifying. I can still remember every single detail so vividly 13 years later. That is what fuels my trilogy.
What genre do you typically write?
The Rain Trilogy is fantasy/romance, but typically I write contemporary romance. Many of those books to come (and maybe some paranormal).
How long does it usually take you to write a book?
I usually write a book in 3-6 months. That's just the first draft. From the moment I write the first word to the moment I am completely finished, I would say 9 months is average. Kinda like giving birth. Ha!
What do you do to conquer writer’s block?
I think about what my character wants, and I drive the story toward that (or away from it in some cases). If I'm really stuck, sometimes reconsidering where I'm taking the story is beneficial. Sometimes I'm stuck because it just isn't working anymore. So I'll take a break, brainstorm, watch an inspiring movie, etc. Sometimes I'll think of it in the middle of the night between dreams. Weird, but true.
What can you tell us about your favorite character from your book?
My favorite character is Fallon. He is kind, noble, courageous... just an all around awesome guy. And his story is one of the most heartbreaking. I'll actually be releasing a novella about him soon!What actor or actress would you like to see play your character in the movie adaptation
Seychelle Gabriel (Raenah). 
Chris Hemsworth (Gavin).
Ian Somerhalder (Lucian).
Tom Hiddleston (Fallon).
What are your current projects?
The Choice, which is due to release late November/ early December. It is about a high school student who is raped and faced with an unwanted pregnancy, and the ultimate choice of whether or not to live in the past or move forward with her future.
If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?
Not a single thing!


Allison was born and raised in the mountains of Oregon, birthed of the crisp, clean air and rainy forests. She now resides in Oklahoma City, though she is still thoroughly attached to her home and finds much inspiration for her stories whenever she has a chance to return. As the spouse of a police officer and a full-time photographer, she is on her toes 24/7. In 2013, she was a recipient of the Oklahoma Next Generation award: an award given to thirty individuals under the age of thirty in the state who have proven to be innovative and inspiring leaders in the arts, entertainment, business, media, and other areas of impact.

Often told that she has her head in the clouds, she couldn’t deny it even if she wanted to. Allison began dreaming up stories long before she was old enough to write them. She enjoys a variety of genres, including YA, romance, historical romance, fantasy, dystopian, and anything else that hooks her interest. She prefers to write books that tell gripping love stories in heart-wrenching, real, inspiring ways. Her stories are deep and raw, taking the reader into a world that is richly intricate. Readers often say that they are swept away and left reeling when they have finished the last page.
Allison loves to interact with her readers, and she does her best to respond to every email she receives. To learn more about her, visit her Facebook page and follow along on her writing journey!

Connect with A.J. Adwen:

No comments:

Post a Comment