Friday, December 21, 2012

Southeast Asian Porridge!

I am on a roll with the Asian recipes this month! I recently had an amazing dinner party where I delighted my guests with an authentic Cambodian hotpot! Well, after finishing up the broth, I had a ton of veggies left over! So, not wanting to waste them, I decided make one of my favorite hearty stews.

Porridge... I know what you're thinking and no it's not your typical porridge from nursery rhymes and fairy tales. This version differs from the European porridge (Goldilocks and the Three Bears) that uses oats, milk, or water, because it uses rice!

This recipe calls for the flavors of Southeast Asia, such as Korean juk and Cambodian Bo bor sach moan.

Ingredients:
-chicken thighs 1 lb or any chicken you have... Thighs give more flavor
-1 large can of chicken broth or chicken bouillon
-1/2 cup fish sauce
-4 tbsp of ginger powder or thinly sliced raw ginger
-2 crushed garlic or 1 tbsp of minced garlic
-1 tbsp of star anise
-1lime
-1bunch of chopped cilantro
-2 cups of rice
-2 stalks of green onion
-1/2 cabbage (not traditionally used but I had so much leftover!)
-1tbsp of lemongrass
-1 package of button mushrooms, sliced
-1 cup of mung bean sprouts
-salt to taste
-crushed black pepper to taste
-I add a heaping tbsp of beef pho paste for extra flavor
-pepper of choice for spice. I used Korean red peppers

Directions:
Simply put in a crockpot, fill with water and cook on low overnight 7-8 hours. Delicious and hearty!!



























No comments:

Post a Comment