Thursday, November 22, 2012

Life of Pi!!!!!


I had to run home to tell you all about The Life of Pi.... Let me preface by saying that this movie had me crying like a baby. I don't want to reveal any spoilers because I want it to be as surprising to you as it was to me. 

So, this review is going to be difficult. The Life of Pi is about a young boy's life and his incredible journey of survival. Each actor that portrayed this character was great. Iffran Khan was Pi as an older man, Suraj Sharma is Pi as we see him during his journey, a young man, and finally, Ayush Tandon and Guatam Belur are Pi as an adolescent and small child. Each one actually looked like they were the same character at different stages of their life. 

We see Pi go through his childhood being teased by his name Piscine...those kids were relentless. His father runs a zoo and eventually they decided that they must move from India to Canada in order to start a new life. This is where the movie takes off. Of course, the ship sinks. Consequently, Pi is left on a small life boat with a zebra, an orangutan, a Bengal tiger and a hyena. 

I am afraid that I cannot give away too much, but Pi sees some pretty incredible things, and manages to survive. All I can say is that at one part of the movie, towards the end, I found myself stunned. I held my breath in shock for what seemed like minutes, trying to suppress the tears. 

I admit that I didn't expect it to affect me that much. I thought it was going to be a visually stunning movie with some inspiring moments, and that it was. What you don't know, is that there is more to this story, and be on your guard, lest you want to bawl your eyes out like I did. Lol, there were others with tears in their eyes, but I think I understood the deeper meaning of the story and couldn't suppress my emotion, although I did try. 

You must see it in 3D, or it will be a shameful crime. Ang Lee has to be in the running for best director in the Oscars. As James Cameron would agree with me, the 3D was stunning, but not only that, but this film was shot mostly on water, with animals. Do you know how hard that is? I'd like to thank Ang Lee for directing, Yann Martel for writing the novel, and David Mcgee for the screenplay. Go now. See it.

No comments:

Post a Comment