Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Wuthering Heights (The New Version)




I am a few weeks late posting about the new Wuthering Heights, but I have to express my disappointment. I expected emotional, poignant, performances, but what I got was appalling. 

 Staring Kaya Scodelario, and James Howson, it hate to report that this was a dud. Just boring and ridiculous.

 Firstly, what was the deal with the camera shots. Here is a quick example of each scene: Fade out from bright sunlight...linger for about one minute. Next scene...stare at a random flower, or bug crawling up a window. Next scene...stare at Heathcliff's face for at least five minutes while he does nothing but look lost, or occasionally angry. There might be a stray tear rolling down his face.

  Ugh! 

So, it continued like that for the entire movie. I am a huge British literature fan. I enjoy almost every adaptation of the classics on film, but this was by far the worst! I think I need to brush up on my Bronte, because there were just too many sick instances where Catherine would pull out Heathcliff's hair or do something to physically harm him. Or, someone was hanging a poor helpless dog by their collar on a gate post.  

To be fair, Bronte did have a dark mind and there was a brief description of a dog being left to hang in the book. It just didn't make sense in this movie, because the development of the characters didn't support such behavior.

Not to mention, every time Heathcliff ran off in anger or sorrow, he would either lay in the grass while ran poured over his face (so melodramatic) or the camera would randomly switch to a body of a dead rabbit.

Sounds interesting, I know. Trust me, it's not. It was just weird and annoying. My movie buddy and I kept looking at each other in horror during the movie, as if sharing the thought, "what is this?" "seriously?"

Well, that about sums it up. Honestly, I ran to the theaters to see this movie. The reviews said that it was the closest version to the book. I suppose I just don't like the book, if that's true. Bring me Tom Hardy back!!
P.S. Did I mention that in this version Heathcliff is black, or biracial? Well, nice twist on a modern classic, but the actor, James Howson, simply didn't live up to Heathcliffs notoriety.

No comments:

Post a Comment